What are the benefits of yoga?
The vast array of benefits that have been attributed to yoga is extraordinary. We discuss just a few.
The benefits of yoga have long since been spoken and written about and the array of benefits is seemingly never ending. Both physical and mental benefits have been attributed to the practice of yoga for generations. So what are the real benefits?
It’s a tricky subject to write about because of the vast variety of benefits, some of which are pretty tricky to actually pin down. However, there are certain benefits that seem to crop up time and time again and they include:
- It increases muscle strength and improves flexibility – that in turn can help with back pain and aching joints.
- It can help to prevent the breakdown of cartilage and joint damage – again helping with joint pains.
- It increases blood flow which can help heart and circulatory problems.
- It increases your heart rate – which again helps with circulation, but also general fitness.
- It can make you feel happier through the meditative effect.
- It seems to have a real positive effect on mental well being and this seems to at least partly come from the chance to calm the mind and focus on stillness.
- It can relax your body leading to less stress and anxiety.
- As a result it can also help you sleep better, thereby allowing the body to refresh and repair itself more quickly.
It is not difficult to see why so many people practice yoga on a regular basis. The physical and mental benefits are seemingly so broad.